911 Weight Loss Continued – Removing the stereo

Well, the 911 finally has no stereo system (other than the roar of the flat 6 out back). I had removed the rear speakers when gutting the interior for the roll cage install and had just cut the wires to those speakers at the time. That was easy compared to how rough the removal of the cd player was.  The door speakers were a simple 4 screws a piece removal operation.

The faceplate surround of the cd player was wedged poorly around the cd player and took a fair amount of screwdriver usage to pry it away. After that, it should have easily been seen as to how remove the stereo from the dash. However, not the case. I had to reach underneath the dash and feel around to figure out how to remove it. I could feel some tabs protruding from the cage holding the cd player but I couldn’t pry the tabs away that were holding it to the dash.  I tried various screwdrivers, I even sat in the passenger’s seat upside down so I could see under the dash.  There just wasn’t enough room to do anything.

So I did the next best thing, start taking apart the cd player from the front.  Off went the face plate, then I was left with 6 small screws to remove, which didn’t want to go into the night easily.  At that point, I still couldn’t get to the tabs.  Now I had basically given up on saving the head unit and the removal became a lot easier.  I grabbed a nice large screw driver and began bending the metal case of the head unit so I could get to the tabs that needed to be pushed back into the cage so it could be removed.  After thoroughly ruining the head unit I got it out and tossed it on the ground.  I should have Office Space’d it, but I couldn’t find my gangster rap to play while I was doing it.. so I just tossed it in the garbage.

The object of my displeasure

I then cleaned up the loose wires tucking them around a U-bracket that was used to hold the head unit in place and when I fix the door panels I’ll pull out the speaker wires from the doors so all that’ll be left is the head unit connector plug.  I also did not pull out the power antenna that doesn’t work since I need to get an extended range antenna for the car for use with the radio.  When I get the antenna in, if I can get the antenna to fit in the power antenna hole in the fender, I’ll use the antenna wire to help feed the radio’s extended range antenna through the frunk and to the fender.  Also, the hole left by the stereo will soon house the controls for the A/C and perhaps a switch to turn the cool shirt apparatus on and off (when I break down and buy it).

Soon to be covered with aluminum and holding A/C controls

The next item on my list is to build a wind splitter for the front of my car to create some down force on the front of the car since as it gets to the higher speeds the front end becomes a bit too loose for my liking even with an aggressive front rake on the suspension.

EDIT: Added pictures and a line of text

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *